The house was founded in 1860 by Edmond D’Ayala, who as part of his wedding dowry received the Chateau of Ay as well as some very prime vineyards in Ay and Mareuil. Due to a close friendship with the Gilbey family, the wines became swiftly known in the UK.
In 1882 Ayala was one of the 18 founder members of the Syndicate of the Grand Marques. Located in Ay, in the heart of the Montagne de Reims vineyards, this is very much a Pinot dominant house. It is a relatively small house, artisan in character and style but unquestionably a Grand Marque.
In 2005, Ayala was purchased by the Bollinger family.